The Education That MLK Fought For

I’m from the South. Birmingham, Alabama to be exact. If you have ever spoken to me, you know because it’s obvious. In the south, from the moment you step foot in a school you learn about the struggles of the civil rights movement. Even first year teachers have to go though Lee vs Macon training that focuses on racism and equality. Southern history is embarrassing but the purpose of learning history is learning to avoid mistakes of those in the past. And I think we are getting there. Watching protest going on around the country has made me thankful I live in a place where my kids are surrounded by people of all races and I’m so happy that they seriously do not see color when they look at their friends.

One of the main fights during the civil rights movement was desegregation of schools. Today it is insane to think that just 50 years ago your skin color determined your education. I could never imagine treating a student in my classroom any different because of their race. I am so thankful for those who fought and even gave their lives so my children can go to school and have friends of all races.

Today I saw this quote from Martin Luther King Jr.

image

I started thinking about what MLK and others went through so their children,  children of the our lifetime, and the future could have the education they deserve. BUT are we giving them the education that was fought so hard for? Would MLK look at education today and be proud? Would he determine it was worth dying for or would he be disappointed?

King nailed it here, education is to teach to think critically and intensively. Are we teaching this? How many times a day do you encourage this kind of thinking in your classroom? You can’t teach this with worksheets or test prep.

Just imagine if King had never thought critically. He would have accepted life as it was because that’s what he was told to think. His life and unfortunately lives of so many would have been and still would be different. You cannot change history by using our brains for just regurgitating facts and accepting things the way they are. As teachers you have the power to influence the thinkers and leaders of our future. Don’t take that for granted. One person can push for change, that one person may be in your classroom needing just a small push, don’t let that opportunity slip away.

Have a great week y’all!

One thought on “The Education That MLK Fought For

1. Dr. King also referred to education as the “great equalizer” . Suggesting that if we all had the same opportunity to the same education, then we will be on a level playing field to be successful. Although we have come a long way from the days of segregated schools, we are not yet equal when it comes to school districts across this nation. There are many schools in urban and rural districts that are behind in resources and technological advancement; which impedes students performance in state and national testing standards. Your question “would MLK look at education today and be proud”? My answer to that question is no.

The reason for this opinion is that before his untimely death, MLK was on a fight and movement to eradicate poverty. It was once said that socialization and education are inextricably tied together in any civilized society, therefore both are critical to the individual and collective development of a nation. So MLK will not be proud of how things are today with our education system because there is still a deep poverty gap in this country, and with poverty comes lack of access to certain opportunities that would catapult one to meaningful life.

Despite the deep disparities and widening gaps in education and socialization, African Americans have come a long way from the Jim Crow south and Segregation. Opportunities are more than they were 50 years ago, and there are more educated blacks in meaningful positions than there were during the civil rights movement. The challenge now is how can we deal with the challenge of poor schools, and poor communities, and grant ALL citizens of this nation an equitable chance at making a difference for themselves and their family. The issue of the day is more than just civil rights, its Silver Rights. As educators, if we can teach a child to fish, they can self determine and provide for themselves for a life time.