Don’t Stop at Good Enough

Today I found a new awesome website. Well I didn’t find it, someone tweeted it. The site was Draw A Stick Man . This is a great site so much fun. You go to site and there is a space with the instruction “Draw a Stick Man”. So I did and went to click to close the site and uh oh I wasn’t finished. The site goes on to tell an amazing story and you have to draw pieces to the story.

The site could have ended with my fat headed stick girl (in heels) but it didn’t. The site didn’t end until I had killed the dragon and put out all the fire. Not what was expected. How many times as teacher do we just expect and only ask for the basic. We just have to teach the course of study standard right? Or do we take that standard and allow curiosity to take us to the dragon?

We need to push beyond good. We have the power as educators to nurture that questioning or want more beyond “good enough.”

**Ok so I just sat down to finish this blog post and checked my twitter stream first. Steve Jobs just died. Wow. My first real taste of technology was in computer lab in elementary school. We had a lab of Apple II computers. In 5th grade I was the lab aid. I got to spend an hour dusting the computers, preparing them for next classes, then eventually learning how it worked and it’s different parts. It was only part of 5th grade I remember in detail. What if Steve Jobs had stopped at that Apple II? What if Apple had never developed the Mac? What if Jobs had never come back to Apple? What if he had just pouted when “out of a job” and not help develop Pixar?

Our lives would have changed drastically right? We have to admit because of the ideas and questions from this guy our lives have in some way. We are that future you learned about at Epcot in the 80s.

Steve Jobs is why stopping at good is not good enough. Actually he is a perfect example why stopping at great is not good enough. Thanks Steve Jobs for creating computers cheap enough a rural small school in Alabama could afford a whole lab full. Thanks for not stopping at “good enough”

2 thoughts on “Don’t Stop at Good Enough

1. What a great, and unbelievably timely, post too! I’m glad that you don’t stop at “good enough,” and your students benefit from this most of all. Thanks for reminding all of us about the importance of this!

Aviva

2. Pingback: Superman Ain’t Comin’ and Why That’s a Good Thing! #EdReform | Angela Maiers Educational Services, Inc.