Going Mobile

A few weeks ago I read a blog post written by a pre-service teacher that said phones & tablets had no place in a classroom. Since then I have heard (and read on twitter) a few more arguments along these same lines. I also read a post saying that teachers should not be giving homework assignments/projects that require students to use the internet. Almost every time these came up, socioeconomics was the main point for the argument. It makes since. If you are reading this blog, you are online, and you know the cost that comes with internet as well as phone service. But is this a valid point? Is there still a digital divide in the United States? If so is the digital divide still “Haves and Have Nots” or is it by age?

Pew Research Center has completed a study on teens and how they use the internet. A colleague sent it to me and I was completely sucked into the data. I took some of what I thought were highlights and threw them into an infographic. As you read over this, ask yourself, is there still an economic digital divide? Are the common arguments against BYOD valid? Lastly, are we seeing a dramatic increase of mobile usage and if so, are we preparing for now or 5 years from now?

(BTW the infographic is interactive so for information, hover over the charts)

6 thoughts on “Going Mobile

1. This is great! How I wish the policymakers “got it” like you do! There’s no time for true teaching and learning, for the process, because mandated testing has everyone on the superhighway to nowhere. Kudos to you on your blog and for “slogging” along with the important lessons!

2. Very insightful. Nice to see that lower income urban children are not in the lower end of this “digital divide”.

3. Pingback: The narrowing “digital divide” | summer of computing

4. Pingback: Week 3 Reflection: Upside Down Education: Going Mobile | Amanda Sipes

5. I 100% agree with your argument. Us students already spend enough time on the computer or mobile devices away from school. SO letting us be on them during school just increases temptation to play games or go on Facebook. I love that chart page on this post. It was shocking to see that 95% of students use the internet. Probably longer then needed.

6. Great sharing, very insightful! nice to see all of those data in very nice inforgraphic. My q, where is the 5% of teens not using the internet? I think 100% already use internet nad online, with lower time of use maybe. thanks!